Les Renault d'avant guerre Forum Index Les Renault d'avant guerre
le forum des amateurs de Renault produites de 1898 à 1940

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting magneto to distributor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Les Renault d'avant guerre Forum Index -> Les Renault d'avant guerre -> ici on parle technique -> Mécanique -> Circuit d'allumage
Previous topic :: Next topic  
KiwiKZ2
Compagnon

New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct 2014, 11:18    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor Reply with quote

My KZ2 uses a RB magneto for ignition. I have seen too many vintage cars stopped on the side of the road with magneto failure, even after the owners have spent hundreds of dollars getting them reconditioned.
I like having my cars 100% oauthentic but they need to be reliable as well. My brother is restoring a 1914 Fiat Tipo Zero and he also wants the car to be correct but trouble free, so we have been thinking how to keep the right look but make them better.
A magneto is really just a distributor which makes it's own HT spark. Could we find a way to feed spark in to the distributor part of the magneto from a coil hidden out of sight somewhere?

Here are two magnetos. the one on the left is the one which will go in the car, the one on the right is the spare. Note the brass fitting on top of the locator peg on the magneto i am going to use

This is the magneto I am using. The magnets have been removed and replaced with a steel cover so it no longer generates any spark, but the armature has been kept to provide drag for the automatic advance to work correctly

The top peg is the original. The bottom one is the new one my brother has made with the fitting for the coil lead to feed the spark to the distributor part of the mag.

It works perfectly on the bench, firing four spark plugs in a dummy cylinder head so we are confident it will work on the car. I will let you know when the motor is running!

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct 2014, 11:18    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
jp26
Maître à penser

Membre RAG: 2019
Drôme

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct 2014, 12:31    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor Reply with quote

La magnéto est tout aussi fiable que les autres systèmes, voire + car elle est indépendante du système électrique général

Tous les avions à pistons utilisent la magnéto, ce n'est pas sans raison.

NB: mon anglais n'est pas au niveau me permettant de le dire dans cette langue, merci à un traducteur bénévole et compétent
Fossoyeur
Administrateur

Au milieu de nulle part (61)

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct 2014, 13:37    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor Reply with quote

jp26 wrote:
La magnéto est tout aussi fiable que les autres systèmes, voire + car elle est indépendante du système électrique général

The magneto is at least as reliable as other systems, or even more, since it is independent from the overall électrical system of the car.
All piston-equipped planes still use a magneto ; there is a reason.
Compagnon

New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct 2014, 01:31    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor Reply with quote

Fossoyeur wrote:
jp26 wrote:

The magneto is at least as reliable as other systems, or even more, since it is independent from the overall électrical system of the car.
All piston-equipped planes still use a magneto ; there is a reason.

A magneto does throw a stronger spark, but there is also a reason why piston engined aircraft run TWO magnetos!.
Pilier

Membre RAG: 2018
Occitanie LIBRE en

PostPosted: Sun 2 Nov 2014, 22:24    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor Reply with quote

Compagnon

New Zealand

PostPosted: Fri 7 Nov 2014, 11:46    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor Reply with quote

PriMaX_4 wrote:

Looks very familiar! What car is this for?
Administrateur

EURE

PostPosted: Fri 7 Nov 2014, 14:20    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor Reply with quote

Quelle voiture MAX?
Visit poster’s website
1933 PG8
Administrateur

OCCITANIE

PostPosted: Fri 7 Nov 2014, 21:45    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor Reply with quote

C'est la B14 citroen...
PriMaX_4
Pilier

Occitanie LIBRE en

PostPosted: Sat 8 Nov 2014, 09:25    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor Reply with quote

Juste un petit trou
Ceci fait un peu désordre. 
Vu que j'ai une autre magneto,  je vais repasser en allumage d'origine. 
Compagnon

New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun 9 Nov 2014, 09:30    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor Reply with quote

PriMaX_4 wrote:
Juste un petit trou
Ceci fait un peu désordre. 
Vu que j'ai une autre magneto,  je vais repasser en allumage d'origine. 

Does it work ok?
Pilier

Occitanie LIBRE en

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov 2014, 23:28    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor Reply with quote

When the hood is closed, we see nothing.
the engine is running very well.

i dont like this mouting but it works

PostPosted: Today at 16:00    Post subject: Converting magneto to distributor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Les Renault d'avant guerre Forum Index -> Les Renault d'avant guerre -> ici on parle technique -> Mécanique -> Circuit d'allumage All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Xooit.com free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation